Monday, 30 January 2017

Week 17 | Fashion Accessories



This week consisted mainly of making again, It was with all the samples we had created. Although what differed from last week was the fact that we were focusing more on the silhouette of our mannequin. We wanted to create something far more unique and crazy. It started off with joining one part of the body to the other but it progressed into putting more focus on the shape of our garment. I think this was just a way to get us to free up our minds, not be so disciplined and go crazy with what we create.



However despite all of that I still managed to create exactly what I was creating last week. That was most disappointing because it felt like I was really stuck. I needed to be inspired again, I just felt like my ideas had come to a halt. My ideas ran dry because I wasn't focusing on what I should be. I should have been focusing on creating a unique and interesting silhouette for my mannequin. 

This is how I ended up creating this:


For this I simply grabbed a white sheet of cartridge paper and began cutting length ways making sure to cut it in to  15cm thick strips. With these I just tried to be crazy but still elegant. I didn't want to have many rough and sharp edges. I wanted everything to be smooth and soft. I started off with using the paper to caress the mannequins shape and then building off of that. That allowed me to intertwine the strips of paper to hold it in place better. After establishing the foundations I simply grabbed more strips and piled on, making sure that the elements I added were dynamic and they protruded from the body in order to change the silhouette.


I felt it came out quite nicely seeing as I didn't use many materials and all of it came from an a1 sheet of paper. I simply cut it into strips and voila, a garment. It was probably merely a concept but nonetheless I felt pretty accomplished. To compare what I was creating at the start to this was amazing, I had actually focused on just the shape and silhouette and created something quite pretty.

After doing some making for quite a while we had to now come up with some designs and concepts. It was essentially the same thing but on a 2D scale. We were required to use our samples to create conceptual ideas and designs but on an illustrated model instead of a mannequin.


This was my first set of designs. I went along with the idea of remastering the silhouette but using elegant and soft curves. They definitely don't look pretty and that was my issue. They were just too plain, the medium I used just wasn't colourful enough. 



I decided to photocopy my samples and then cut them up in shape with the mannequins body. I then started to place the samples anywhere and everywhere so that I could pick certain things from each design. Although it wasn't as fun as the other way we were designing it was a great idea to do some of this. Its a different way of designing and anyone would happily welcome new skills. It would have been nice to have chosen more interesting materials for my samples but thats only because I didn't have any fun patterns or shapes to play with.










No comments:

Post a Comment