Saturday, 29 October 2016

Week 7 | Graphics

Lettering & Typography

This week was all about exploring lettering and typography. We did this to get a sense of the many aspects to graphics as well as to create a suitable title for our Zine.

A few artists were introduced to us to help us get started and to help us get inspired, these included Mike Perry, Kate Moross, Jessica Hische and many more. The ones in particular that caught my eye were Jessica Hische's as her font and typographical style was more to my taste. After we looked at some artists it was time to have a go at it ourselves. We were tasked with creating a new composition every ten seconds on the same page

**
**

As you can see there is a wide range of compositions and font styles and letter sizes, I tried to be as experimental and wild as possible until my ideas ran out. Once we had amassed a load of different ideas it was time to choose three of them and develop them. The first one I chose was this one:


Which I developed into this:



After we had played around with lettering it was time to see the impact and effect type had when paired with image. We had a look at the four principles of Image, Type and Message. The four principles are Separation, Fusion, Fragmentation and Conversion. Once we had learnt about them we had to respond to them with two responses being by hand and two responses being digitally. 


This was the first one I created and it was for Separation. Although the type doesn't explicitly represent the Image it still looked and sounded very interesting and slightly humourous.


This was my second one which was fusion. I was trying really hard to search through the magasines and newspapers to find something I could fuse together, For this one I made a twist on the topic of nature and how it is being affected globally by humans.


For this one I did it digitally in Photoshop. It was a really basic idea because I was really struggling to think of ideas so i picked a word and tried to visually represent it


It was a similar story for this one, I didn't want to over complicate it, although saying that is pretty ironic because I had to create all of the individual bars myself.









No comments:

Post a Comment