Monday, 13 March 2017

3DD Final Evaluation


This project really excited me because I love working with 3D and I love designing things with precision and accuracy. The brief outlined that we were going to be working first with objects and then working with spatial. The things I had to consider were the key starting points such as what objects to bring in for Product design and the space that I live in for the architecture part. I had to put a lot of thought into what objects I wanted to bring in because I threw a lot of my junk away a couple of months ago and so the things I owned were very limited to the bare essentials. Eventually I settled on the most unexpected of items but it was great.

The research part was very fun because we could spend our time looking at very cool, interesting and innovative design and discovering ways it could fit into our work. I looked at many product designers for the first stage including Droog Design, Phillipe Starck, Vitra, Richard Hutton and many more. They were all very interesting, even from just the way they work. I also went to the Design Museum to see the exhibitions and found Phillipe Starck's Lemon Squeezer on display. However for my product my main inspiration came from SMEG Fridges and existing refrigerators that are already on the market. Whereas my research for Architecture extended as far as Will Alsop, Tadao Ando, Santiago Calatrava and even Frank Gehry. My main inspiration came from Tadao Ando and his use of light manipulation. I also went to the Design Museum to have a look at the architecture which was incredible.

There were a lot of different steps included in the process of getting from an already existing thing to a very new, innovative and original creation. It was the same for the two projects, it consisted of research and creating models and developing those models based on your research. I definitely made more models for the Product design weeks as I felt it was essential in visualising the details of the proposed product. I was designing something that was going to be used with your hands so it made absolute sense to get hands on with it. However if we are talking about a space, such as the one I designed for my architecture project, I could use software and my imagination to visualise the space as it would be far to large to create something I could consider a 'space'. The closest I could get was a small model created from a floor plan, it certainly wasn't something I could get inside of myself. Also an important thing to add is that the product was meant to be more functional and achievable whereas the space we were creating could be more free, whacky and imaginative.

I used my making abilities to create various models of my product from both paper and cardboard. My second model of my product was much better than my first and showed direct improvement and development from my first creation. However when it came to making a model of my building the first and only model I made was of my existing space and then once my design became too complex I chose to design it and create in digitally in Google Sketch-up. That allowed me to cut down on time and materials as well as use very accurate measurements and shapes to create my vision. I felt like using software was the most effective way of creating a 3D model of whatever it was I was designing and I half wish i used it to create my product so that at least I had that in my work instead of just using cardboard.

I think the strengths in my work resided in the making and the designing instead of the research and analysis. It was really fun creating the models with both my hands and the use of a computer. I feel that If we had been given more time to explore the project it would give us, as a class, more of an opportunity to explore and create something very unconventional and exciting. Despite having a finished idea and a digitally rendered model I don't feel like I was adventurous enough. In essence I only changed the window and the basic shape of the walls. It was only the shape of the space that received any noticeable change. It is very close to being the same space with just curvier walls. I think if I was to be more adventurous and find more ways to change or add to my design it would have stronger legs to stand on.



No comments:

Post a Comment