The final week of Architecture was upon us. Once again at the end of this week we were required to produce a presentation sheet with our ideas, research and development on it.
The last thing I did last week was conducting research into some architects and upon finding and loving Tadao Ando's work I felt it was very necessary to try and create something in his style. It was perfect for me, especially with his way of playing with light. I came up with a few sketches and developed them into a final sketch.
This is my final sketch idea for my new space, the idea was that the light would enter the Tadao Ando styled window and use the walls as transport to illuminate the walls. I decided to make the walls curved so that without any corners the light couldn't be stopped and would therefore allow it to travel as far as it would naturally reflect.
A diagram of how the light would enter the window.
I decided to use my Google Sketch-up skills to my advantage and create a 3D model of my space. It took me a couple of days to perfect it as I first created a model of my existing space and then a model in between this and the first which essentially shows how I managed to get to this point.
This is the model of my existing space and as you can see the walls are very boring and the narrow hallway wouldn't allow any of the natural sunlight to enter, especially with the adjacent building looking over my window.
This is the development shown through my models. I created three, one of my original and then the second was the idea I had for my new space. I had the idea to use curved walls because I imagined the light could travel better. The third model was an improved version that was more fluid and dynamic than the first and second.
A few more shots of the model from different angles.
These are a couple of screenshots showing how the sunlight would be able to travel around the walls of the room. Also bearing in mind the sun would move across the sky during the day so there would be periods of the day that allow more sunlight than others.
My Presentation Sheet:
This was my presentation sheet. It includes information on my existing space with photographs and a basic floor plan as well as a 3D model of my space created with Google Sketch-up. I have also included my research into Tadao Ando and how it has influenced my work, there is a sketch of my proposed space next to it as well as the floor plan and an explanation of why I wanted curved walls. I have also included the 3D models from Sketchup as they are the most important, they are a representation of my idea and also show my skill with computer software.










No comments:
Post a Comment