Sunday, 12 March 2017

Week 22 | 3DD - Architecture


The next couple of weeks were focused around the Architecture side of 3D design. It was based around where we live and so we had to take pictures and note down measurements of our house. If we couldn't access the outside of our house then we had to simply measure the inside. These are the images of my home.






After we photographed the place in which we live we we then had to draw it. This however was straight from memory and didn't have to be entirely accurate.



This was my drawing, as I said before it didn't have to be entirely accurate and mine certainly wasn't. It was simply a representation of a place where I lived.

After we had drawn our place our next step was to turn it into a 3D model. These are a few images of what I created. 








My model was very successful because my floor plan was pretty simple, as there weren't many rooms I could focus more on the quality of my model instead of fighting time trying to get it to resemble my plan. The material we used was cardboard which was simply good enough, there was also Balsa wood and dowels available but I didn't find a purpose for them because my measurements were too large for the pieces provided. My scale was 1:100 which was a fairly decent scale to work from, a few people were working at scales from 1:200 to 1:500 which were very small but that was because they had a whole house to do. 

The hardest part of my making process was finding a stable way to attach the walls to the base of the model. I was being absent minded whilst cutting them and forgot to add small tabs that I could use to glue them together and instead just cut panels. I then had to make individual tabs out of scrap cardboard to use to attach the two panels together. That took a huge chunk of my time and made me really regret my decision. 



We did some research into some designers and one of the ones I came across was a fella named Tadao Ando. Tadao Ando is a Japanese self taught architect. 
I found his piece of work called the Church of Light

Image result for tadao ando church of light

I liked this piece of his work because the whole idea of the building was to allow natural light to create new spatial dimensions within the space. There are gaps in the wall in the shape of a crucifix that allow the suns natural light to travel around the interior of the church throughout the day, forever carrying the shape of a crucifix from dusk till dawn. I thought that was a wonderful creation.

This was something I really wanted to incorporate into my space. The natural lighting in my space wasn't the greatest as there is a block of flats looking onto my building and that completely removes any sight of the sun. The window coupled with the very square room almost stops any natural light in its tracks. The sunlight doesn't travel any further than the corners in my room. This was the perfect thing to stumble upon.


No comments:

Post a Comment