I decided to look into specific cultures and what sort of architecture they had. I chose to focus on the country of India, mainly because I know already that their country is amazing and it has well over a billion people. Their civilisation is amongst the oldest in the world and has spread and influenced much of the western world, from our clothes, music, religion, dance and food.
Upon researching Indian architecture I found that pillars are a very frequent presence in many of the country's traditional buildings. The pillars are always designed beautifully and have an outstanding effect on the aesthetic of the building. One would think their sole purpose is for structural strength but I believe they have been added to most buildings because they look fabulous. They can make any building look like a temple.
One of the best things I noticed about them is the archways they create. Between each pillar is a space that is completely defined by the design of the pillars. These spaces can be utilised as doorways and even windows.
I made a little collage to give an insight into what I was looking into on these pages. I also listed the country's common building materials which are Mud, Marble, Limestone and Brick. THe collage contains a few examples of Indian Pillars.


No comments:
Post a Comment