Wednesday, 3 May 2017

FMP | Week 3 | Day 1

Monday was a self directed study day but I also had work so in the little time I had available I managed to create a little sketch of some curved roofing on a traditional Japanese building. What I have found with both Indian and Japanese traditional architecture is that none of it is very simple. It is all rather detailed and intricate and leaves nothing untouched. The structures are amazing but some of the design work on those surfaces are even better.


Something that really stood out in Japanese architecture was actually something inside the houses. I am talking about the typical partitions you get. They are made out of translucent paper and wood and are used as sliding walls, very similar to the ones we have here at rave. Though these ones let in light which means they can also be used for external walls and even windows. Their purpose is to save space and to allow the house floor to be completely customised to fit the needs of the homeowner.


I grabbed some examples of traditional partitions, explained what they were and why I found them interesting and also had a go at making some myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment