Wednesday, 3 May 2017

FMP | Week 2 | Day 4


Finishing up my Indian culture research I looked more into the pillars they use and how they're designed. They are very intricate so I had a go at drawing some myself. 


I also looked into how the pillars can create interesting shapes as an archway. I got a few examples and drew the basic shapes that the pillars created. 


After finalising some research into Indian architecture, I turned my attention to Japanese styled architecture. I chose Japanese because I was already aware of some of the Japanese values. In Japan, they used to believe that when the gods showed human emotions and used them to create positive relations with other they would be rewarded. Public expression, thoughts and feelings are thought to be very important in Japanese society and so knowing they have these values I wanted to see If I could incorporate some of their architecture to give my project some strength when it comes to values. 


I created roughly the same sort of research page as I did for the Indian architecture one. I explained why I chose Japanese architecture and created a little collage. 


My research showed that the Japanese traditionally designed buildings with curved roofs so that they can warn off evil spirits. The spirits were thought to travel in straight lines so the curved roof would keep them away. I also found that they use very natural materials in their building, often using a lot of wood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment