Saturday, 3 June 2017

FMP | Week 5 | Day 4


Carrying on from my idea to develop this piece of an existing building I was advised to try and just use the very nature of this element, in this case it is its freedom and fluidity, and either redesign it or create something brand new. I took a bold pen and a sheet of paper and simply let the pen do the talking. Within a couple of minutes I had a few ideas already down and one was emerging already.


One of the things I drew resembled a ramp, a curved ramp, as if it could wrap around a building. As soon as the idea came to me I just wanted to get a better idea of it and so designed it myself to put it more into perspective. Below is the page that my development led to. It shows my idea to have a ramp around the base of the building leading to an entrance that would be at the back.


I tried to recreate what I was imagining in my head and I can safely say it looked somewhat similar. The only thing that felt strange or at least wrong was the scale at which this ramp would be. In order for it to reach the top floor of the building the ramp would have to be huge and quite steep. I could have used stairs but I felt like it would remove the ramps character and the sole reason I wanted to implement it in the first place.



Nevertheless, the design wasn't completely finished so it was too early to judge, just like tasting a cakes batter before its even been cooked. I rendered it into Google Sketchup and managed to recreate my drawing. It came out really well. The building itself wasn't anything that I had specific designs or dimensions for, it was simply a dummy to give the ramp some context. I reckon if the building had a little more thought put into it in terms of the shape, the size, height,  number and angle of walls, etc the ramp would probably fit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment