Saturday, 3 June 2017

FMP | Week 6 | Day 1


After a somewhat disappointing end to my week last Friday I went back to my free drawings and picked out another one. This time it was the middle one. Although a little messy I tried to redesign it again and see what came of it. I had to try something to restore some inspiration.


The drawing I chose was the one in the middle that begins as one and splits off into two separate paths. I played around with the curve of the drawing and erased one side and then duplicated and flipped the other side to get a better look at it. I tried to make it look more symmetrical as it would help to look at it that way. 


From the perspective I drew it at it gave me the idea to turn it into a bridge. The bridge would, in theory, symbolise the divide by beginning as one pathway and ending into two. This would force an individual into a decision. Whatever that decision may represent is a discussion for another day.


I made a tiny tiny little model of the bridge. It was only one side of the bridge but if both sides were going to be the same it didn't matter. I used some blue foam, I am not too sure what the specific term for the material is but it was incredibly strong until it touched a hot wire which would make it melt like butter. Up in the prototyping room was a machine that did this and allowed me to sculpt it out. It was pretty difficult to get the arc exactly how I wanted it, it was only rough so there weren't any measurements to go by. The hardest part was getting it to stand upright. I had to sculpt it from the centre of a block of foam and so the base of both ends were a little uneven and that caused it to keep falling over. I'm pretty sure I lost a lot of height because of this.

Here are some more images of my model. 




No comments:

Post a Comment