Sunday, 4 June 2017

FMP | Week 6 | Day 5


Moving on from documenting all of the ideas I had during the earlier part of the week, This was the time. I had my final design in my head, it just needed to be on paper. That is what this all is.


After all of my exploration of the shape I found in the MOCAPE building I finally settled on something worth shouting about. Albeit not the most impressive, it was certainly something exciting and different. I used the idea of having the arc as an installation, that was the basis of this whole design. I then went on to think about how I could incorporate the pillars into the whole things and my mind went back to when I had all of that unused space underneath the ramp I was designing.

In the center image I have shaded over what I believed was a lot of lost space. When thinking about the arc this was something I reconsidered. What could I use all of this space for? The answer was simple. The pillars. Not only would the arc be something magnificently fluid and different in contrast to the rest of the building but it could also serve as an entrance of some sort. A dual purpose. 


This is my proposed floorplan for the building. It features three floors including the ground floor, first and second. The ground floor will be dedicated to information and education, in terms of culture, equality and awareness. There will also be an auditorium at the far end of the building which makes use of the curved back wall. The first floor will be used as exhibition space for Art, Design and Media related work. This will offer the local area and areas overseas to exhibit their work. The second floor will be a cafe/food court that will focus on food from all around the world instead of local cuisine. Now, despite it being an architecture course and project, I still felt it was necessary to include what my building was designed for and what it will facilitate. It is all good and well having a building that looks great. It is even better designing a building that looks great and performs great in whatever endeavour is was created for.


No comments:

Post a Comment