Wednesday, 7 June 2017

FMP | Week 7 | Day 5



Today after my model seemed to fail I had to go out and get some more materials. This time I decided not to use foamboard for the majority of my model. I spoke to one of the technicians in the prototyping room and they advised me on using mountboard. The mountboard was more dense and therefore less flammable under the heat of the laser cutter. Not only was it less likely to catch fire but it was also stronger and so the little bits between each of the windows in my design would stand better and hold stronger. It will also hopefully allow me to glue the model together better as I could use the edges. What I mean by that is when I used the foamboard and the heat inevitably melted the core of the board there wasn't anywhere for the glue to go because the foam inside had melted away from the edges meaning there was a gap. It was really irritating to glue together because I had to use a lot of glue and that made the model very messy.

I bought a couple of a2 sheets of mountboard as well as another a3 sheet of foamboard for the base and the two levels. Hopefully the laser cutting goes well. Fingers Crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment